Whatever role you are in, be it carer, parent, grandparent, situations could arise in which you need to move objects as well as your child. This course will show you what you need to do in order to handle objects and people safely and minimise the risk of injury.
Manual handling is moving anything where human force is required. The term manual handling covers activities that involve lifting, carrying, lowering, pushing or pulling a load. Examples of this can include putting bags into the car, carrying a child, pushing a wheelchair and lifting someone into a hoist.
Having completed this Virtual College course, you will:
- Understand the reasons why you need to know how to move and handle objects correctly.
- Learn the key pieces of legislation that relates to manual handling; the responsibilities they place on any employer.
- Understand the basic theory of how your spine works, common injuries and how you can avoid them.
- Understand the key factors to take into account before undertaking the moving or lifting of a load.
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- The Law
- The Spine
- Moving and Handling Objects Safely
- Moving People Safely
The content of this Virtual College course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 3 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like, and there is no limit on how long you can take to do the course.
This is a manual handling course that is aimed specifically at parents and carers.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.